Tampere is third biggest city in Finland with 200 000 inhabitants.
It is located 173 kilometres to North from Helsinki.
Tampere lies between two lakes and is surrounded by beautiful nature.
End of September ... early October feature crisp weather with temperatures typically in +5...+15 Celsius range. The leaves are turning yellow and red.
The average temperature is about -1...-5 Celsius in November.
November is the beginning of winter and there may be some centimeters of snow already.
Finland is a member of European Union and the currency is Euro.
Foreign currency can be exchanged in Forex (Hämeenkatu 1, Tampere Downtown) or in banks.
Main Post Office in located in downtown. The address is Rautatienkatu 21.
It is open Mon-Fri 9am - 8pm and Sat 10am - 2pm.
The post is delivered only on Mon-Fri.
You can access the Internet for example in City Hall (Aleksis Kiven katu 14),
City Tourist Office (Verkatehtaankatu 2) and Main Library Metso (Pirkankatu 2).
Telephone code for Finland is +358 and for Tampere 03.
To dial out of Finland, use one of the following: 994, 999, 990.
There is a lot of restaurants in Tampere downtown. If you are looking for
something special and new, you should try some of these: Restaurant Näsinneula, Restaurant
Harald, Restaurant Plevna and Restaurant Salud. Below is a list of recommended restaurants.
When serching for a place to spend evening, Tampere has a number of locations to choose from. Some of those are listed below.
- Amarillo ( Hatanpäänvaltatie 1 )
- Astor ( Aleksis Kiven katu 26 )
- Kustaa III ( Kauppakatu 11 )
- Paapan Kapakka ( Koskikatu 9 )
- Plevna ( Itäinenkatu 8 )
- Teerenpeli ( Hämeenkatu 25 )
Shopping and Sights
There are shopping centers, department stores and smaller shops
all around downtown. There are also grocery stores in Sokos and
Stockmann department stores for example.
Department Stores and Shopping Centers ( Mon-Fri 9am-9pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 12noon-6pm )
- Sokos, Hämeenkatu 21
- Stockmann, Hämeenkatu 4
- Anttila, Puutarhakatu 10
- Koskikeskus Shopping Centre, Hatanpäänvaltatie 1
- Tullintori Shopping Centre, Hammareninkatu 2
- Kauppahalli Indoor Market, Hämeenkatu 19
Some Special Shops ( Mon-Fri 9am-5pm/6pm, Sat 9am-2pm )
- Aarikka, Kehräsaari ( Finnish wooden ornaments )
- Annansilmä-Aitta, Aleksis Kiven katu 30 ( Hand-made gift items )
- Joulupuu, Kehräsaari 32 ( Souvenirs )
Keskustori 7 ( Glass, interior decoration, textiles etc. )
- Moominshop, Hämeenpuisto 20 ( Moomin-trolley gift items and ornaments )
- Marimekko, Koskikeskus, Sokos ( Finnish fashion )
- Finlayson, Kuninkaankatu 3 ( Finnish textile )
- Näsinneula, the tallest observation tower in the Nordic countries.
- Pyynikinharju Ridge and Pispalanharju Ridge. Beautiful view to lake Näsijärvi and lake Pyhäjärvi.
Both are only about 20 minutes walk from downtown.
Numbers for taxis are: 01004131 from a mobile phone and 10041 from
a normal phone. There are also taxi ranks at Keskustori (Central Square), the railway station,
the bus station, next to Sokos Department Store and Hotel Cumulus Koskikatu for example.
Tampere City Transport blue and white buses will take you anywhere in the city.
Tickets costs 2,50 euros from any stop to an other in the city area.
Buses number 13, 22 will take you to Tampere Hall from Keskustori (Central Square). Click here for
© Tampereen kaupunki